Search Me

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year!

I'm back from spending Christmas with my sister and her family near Maitland and then camping from Boxing Day near Taree on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales with friends and have been catching up with washing since our arrival home mid afternoon yesterday.

There were washing machines at the caravan park we stayed at, which I used every second day, but it still all catches up with you with sheets and beach towels and dirty clothing packed back in containers instead of being placed in the washing bag after use. We use tough plastic containers to pack our clothes in for camping instead of zippered bags. They stack in the camping trailer better!

I have been op shopping - buying knitting needles, and table clothes and cute embroidered napkins and very special drinking mugs for my husband, my friend's husband and my friend's father and my brother-in-law and all under $1. Is it bad that I found one I was going to give my brother-in-law and then decided it was so special, I had to keep it for myself. Photos later!

My friend and I have decided that purchasing special drinking mugs from op shops while on camping holidays could become a new challenge. I got her dad and her husband some very special matching steins ... The lovely ladies at the op shop must have thought I was crazy .. but I kept them in business ...

Don't you love a new op shop to browse through? Especially one with air-conditioning on a 30+ degrees celsius day when you husband has taken your kids out fishing ...

I also sewed myself a peg bag from a 50c tea towel from the op shop, and started stitching my friend a travelling tablecloth to use on her camping table to mark all the camping trips her family have taken embroidered on one of the plain tablecloths I purchased.

I was also able to very much enjoy the 50% off post Christmas sales that Spotlight at Taree and elsewhere  had on quilting fabric, buying a few fabrics at $2.50 a metre, marked down from an original $22 a metre to $5 and then with the 50% off discount. Whoo hoo!

To wrap up... a holiday with family and friends and with time to op shop, buy fabric at Spotlight, do some stitching and attend two local markets at Harrington and Black Head and enjoy a few meals out at the pub and the local Bowling Club overlooking the water .... PERFECT.

I'll try and share a few photos tomorrow!

Hope all my readers had a lovely holiday also and got to do some of the things they loved like me!

______________________________________________________ Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a Great Holiday-Happy New Year.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your holiday - it sounds wonderful! ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. bring on the photos...you know what I am like about thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I ask another silly American question? There's a couple Australian blogs I read now, and I've heard you guys mention "op shops" a couple times now. So...I guess I'm asking what that means. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Glad you've enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. twelvedaysold and others! ... Op Shop means Opportunity Shop which is a shop where people have donated used or knitted or crafted items to be resold with all funds raised (usually run by volunteers perhaps with a paid manager) going to a charity, typically St Vincent De Paul (Vinnies) or perhaps Salvation Army (Salvo's) or even Baptist Church, Lifeline, Anglican Church or other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year. Sounds like you had the perfect Christmas break. Look forward to seeing some of your finds. Hope this year is a good one for you. G

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments no longer welcome.