Search Me

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Something for Stewart House

http://www.stewarthouse.org.au/

Each year at my daughter's school, just before they break up for the end of the year (in Australia, this is around the 18th of December) the kids have a charity fundraising day for Stewart House.

If you go to the website, you will read that Stewart House is a charity set up to support 1,800 public school students each year (in groups of around 90) who get to come from wherever they live in New South Wales or the ACT for a two week stay where they receive optometry, dental and medical treatment as well as emotional support.

Stewart House has been been in operation since 1931 and is largely supported by public school fundraising, clothing drives and donations by teachers.

Once kids at our school get to Year 3, they are allowed to organise a booth with their friends to have market day to raise funds. My daughter originally thought she would sell soft drinks. I didn't love this idea.

I have started knitting iPhone / Nintendo DS / Sunglasses cases for her to sell. So far, I have knitted 3, and am working on number 4. I figure if I knit 10 and she sells them for say $5 each, that is $50 Stewart House didn't have.

Photos to follow on another day when they are sewn up.

I am knitting them with 3mm needles (the first one with 2.75 mm needles) and 8 ply (or DK) acrylic, so the material is quite dense.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments no longer welcome.